Saturday, March 05, 2005

In The Beginning...

OK - here's how it all started. I moved into my new apartment after getting separated from my wife. It's a cool place at City Park Avenue and Allard Blvd in New Orleans. My apartment is on the third floor, it apparently used to be attic space that was converted into two apartments. I live in Apartment #4. Also on the third floor is apartment #5. When I moved in, #5 remained vacant for about four months, though the real estate people would show it to prospective renters all the time.

In my front room (the living room) there is a wall with heavy wood panelling. A door in this wall leads to the unconverted attic area which I use for storage. I'll post pictures on here soon.

I work at night, so one day in November 2004 I was asleep, when a sound woke me up. I knew I didn't imagine it because my cat heard it too. I saw him staring intently into the living room from my bedroom. The sound was a door opening, and scraping against carpet. At first it figured it was the real estate agent showing the other apartment. But then I realized that Apartment #5's door doesn't sound like that. The only door I've heard that makes that sound is the one that leads into my attic. Not only that, but that is the only door that really latches well (it's an old house), so you have to actually turn the knob and push it against the carpet to open it. It doesn't blow open from the wind.

Realizing that someone had to open that door, I jumped out of bed and walked into the living room. Sure enough, the door was standing wide open! I checked to see if anyone had broken into my apartment, but the front door was closed and locked, the balcony door was locked, and the window was shut. Could someone have come in from the attic? I got a flash light and checked. Nope, no doors or hatches. the only way in or out was that door! So who opened it?

Not one to put too much credence in ideas of poltergeists and haunted houses, I went to the hardware store and bought a deadbolt lock for the door. Done and done. That should settle it. No more mystery catburglars coming into my house!

Or so I figured.

No comments: